Friday, October 2, 2009

How a Sports Mom Gets Ready for a Weekend on the Road

As I get ready to hit the road for several out-of-state hockey games, I still find the preparation daunting after approximately ten years of traveling for youth sports. Instead of giving you advice, I'll simply share with you my day:

Morning:
  • Took day off work (because there was too much to get ready for the weekend).
  • Got kids off to school.
  • Snuck out for quick breakfast with husband (because we won't have any time together on the weekend).
  • Printed weekend swimming schedule for husband.
  • Took care of a few business matters.
Afternoon:
  • Went to Target for weekend snacks and a few extras (since I haven't been to a store in ages).
  • Returned library books.
  • Mailed bills and package at post office.
  • Deposited money at bank for son (who lives in South Dakota).
  • Called husband to remind him to buy internet package so we can watch oldest son's game on tv tonight.
  • Made calls to change plans for trip in two weeks. (Thankful that the grandparents will be available to help us.)
  • Bought food at grocery store for weekend.
Evening:
  • Bought cord at Best Buy to connect computer to tv so we could watch son's game via internet. (This was trickier than I anticipated - I bought the wrong cord. After an hour or two of searching, I found a cord which was already attached to our DVD player and worked with my computer too. I'm not technology savvy!)
  • Quickly ate delicious dinner. (Thank goodness husband is a good cook and doesn't mind helping out in that area once in a while.)
  • Talked with another parent to confirm carpooling for the weekend.
  • Printed map for weekend trip.
  • Packed snacks for weekend.
  • Packed medications for weekend. (Yes, I have a cough and cold.)
  • Attempted to sit and watch son's game on tv.
  • Told son to pack hockey equipment.
  • Regretted that I didn't squeeze in a workout.
  • Planned last minute preparations for packing in the morning.
All in all, I'm relieved that I took the day off work. Now, off for the weekend...

-Kim

No comments: