Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A-Rod--Guilty?

Did A-Rod take banned performance-enhancing drugs? I suppose in my book he is innocent until proven guilty. However, he likely walked the line.

Many athletes consume energy drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade, to add some potential energy. And some athletes take vitamin shakes or vitamin supplements, such as B12, which are legal substances. In my day, we took decongestants like Sudafed (which are now often banned in sports) for that extra energy burst. To a degree, these are performance-enhancing substances, yet they were legal in the past and some are legal now.

Top-notch athletes often look for the next best thing to add an edge to their game. Why not? If you feel better and you are faster or stronger or it helps your game in some way and substance is legal, I say take it, use it, do it. But do NOT cross the fine line. Stay on the legal side. Stay within the rules and win fairly. Winning feels better when it is fair.

I do not know if A-Rod is innocent or guilty. I certainly hope he turns out to be innocent. Let's not judge until he has had a fair verdict. For now, try not to jump to conclusions.

No comments: