Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Give Your Child the Gift of Lessons

Ski season has arrived with a vengeance all over the country. Kids are itching to hit the slopes.

Unfortunately, parents are dropping their kids at the ski hill. Most of these kids have little or no prior experience and no clue how to ski or snowboard. They don't know how to turn, slow down, or stop.

Folks, this isn't sled riding. There are specific techniques and skills needed simply for the sake of safety. Your child could run into a tree or even another skier.

When my daughter was three, an out-of-control skier went speeding down the hill and flew right between my mom and my daughter. I saw this with my own eyes. Both were lucky to come away without injuries. However, my mom's ski pole did not survive the event. Yes, her ski pole was bent almost in half. Good thing it wasn't mom's knee.

Even if your child begs to skip the lessons, please don't give in. Remember that safety is first.

-Kim

No comments: